Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

14 June 2013

WisCon Summary

I had a great time!  I learned the Dealer's Room is probably the most dangerous place at a con.


Especially when you drive there and have your car conveniently located in the hotel parking garage.

These are my book acquisitions.  Authors and publishers donate ARCs (Advanced Reviewer Copies) that are sold as part of the first day's fundraiser for the Tiptree Award.  The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White is an ARC; it won't be published until September.  And I am reading it now ... bwahaha.  There is also an ARC of Sold For Endless Rue by Madeleine Robins.  By day three of the con I'd forgotten I scored that particular ARC, remembered I wanted her book and roamed over to the dealer's room and bought it.

One of the last events of the con is Sign Out, where authors sit at tables in a large room and fans approach with books to sign.  Ms Robins kindly signed both the book and ARC for me.  I bought three books by Mary Robinette Kowal, but had her sign only her latest one, Without a Summer.  Jo Walton was a guest of honor at the con, so my copy of Among Others is signed.  And all four books by Amy Thomson are signed. 

The book on the bottom of the pile was given to me by a lady who had more books than her luggage would hold.  I hadn't heard of the author so she insisted I take it. 

My To Be Read pile is now ginormous. 

No comments: