Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

19 June 2013

Moar Flowers

I posted a picture of prairie smoke HERE when it was blooming and said I'd try for a picture after it had set seed = "smoking."


I took this a couple weeks ago.  It's not the same patch as before - that one was finished seeding - but hopefully there are enough tufts remaining to give you the idea.

Here's another of my favorites that was in my garden:  wild columbine.  I couldn't locate the tag for the white flowers, so have no idea what they are.


Unlike most of the cultivars, wild columbine seeds freely and will show up in random places throughout the garden and yard.  It's fun - for the first few years.  After that, I made sure to deadhead the plants before the seeds ripened. 

A great plant for semi-shade is spiderwort.


The flowers bloom in the morning and usually close up by early afternoon.  

I'm sure you can tell I'm partial to native wildflowers, even when maundering through botanic gardens.  They were always my favorites in the garden.  Once established, they need minimal care and come back every year in larger clumps than before.

But I can also appreciate non-natives.  Here's a beautiful cluster of calla lilies.


Never tried to grow them - they wouldn't have fit with the other plants I had - but these are some awesome blooms.

The Summer Solstice is Friday.  Longest day of the year.  Don't forget to celebrate!

No comments: