Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

28 May 2013

WisCon 37


I just got back from attending WisCon in Madison, Wisconsin.  It was totally awesome, with many wonderful panel sessions and much food, friendliness and laughter.  I will definitely go again.

For any readers who haven't heard of this particular conference, here's the description from the website:  "WisCon's Focus  -  This is the world's leading feminist science fiction convention. WisCon encourages discussion and debate of ideas relating to feminism, gender, race and class. WisCon welcomes writers, editors and artists whose work explores these themes as well as their many fans. We have panel discussions, academic presentations, and readings as well as many other uncategorizable events. WisCon is primarily a book-oriented convention... with an irrepressible sense of humor."

I haven't had time yet to organize my notes from the panels I attended.  I plan to summarize that in a future post.  



While driving home I thought about the perspective difference between fiction and nonfiction. 

For me, reading a nonfiction book is like taking a bus tour where the author is the driver and tour guide.  I'm in the bus with my nose pressed up against the glass while hearing the equivalent of, "On your right is the locally famous Three Horned Toads Pub."

In the fiction book, it's as if I'm greeted with a warm hug by the author.  "Got the guest room all cozy.  We'll drop off your stuff and head to the pub."  Soon I'm immersed in the sounds and aromas of the Three Horned Toads, watching the local bully being told off by some visitor.

I'm not saying nonfiction is devoid of sensory information or local color, but as the reader I often feel like an observer outside the events depicted.  For me, the fiction perspective is immersion, experiencing life events as a local.  I suppose the preference for immersion is why I don't read many nonfiction books.

Your mileage may differ, of course.

2 comments:

R. Elena Tabachnick said...

And then there is creative non-fiction - immersive factish-ness. :-)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear more about it! And I do agree with you about fiction vs nonfiction, it kind of does seem like that!