Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

02 November 2012

NaNo and Work

It’s Day 2 of NaNoWriMo.   We are crazy busy at work. 

Our section dropped from five to three people (attrition), one of the remaining three went to second shift.  The two of us on day shift now have two newbies to train while keeping up with the four person workload.  AND the other trainer was off three days this week.  Yesterday surely set a record for the number of times I was interrupted.  I’d be focused on the project I was reviewing, a newbie would come by with a question.  Pull mind from project, get a focus on newbie’s project, figure out problem and give answer.  Return to my project, just get focused again - and someone else needed something.  All. Day. Long.  Today had fewer interruptions but an added project of timing (with a stopwatch) each step I do in LIMS (the software we use to manage data) and recording all relevant info for a special IT study. 

My brain is a bit fried.



I wrote about 800 words today and am amazed I got that much! 

Last year I made word count almost every day and it even felt easy; that was aberrant.  Unprecedented for me.  This year is shaping up to be more like what I call normal.  I know two days of data isn’t reliable for statistical purposes, but trust me here.  Normal used to be: lucky if I got 800 or 1000 words on work days.  That made Saturday catch-up day, even if it meant 4000 words or more.  Sunday was write a cushion day, with a minimum of 4000 words. 

My schedule is different now.  So this month, Sundays are catch-up day and Mondays are write the cushion day.  Probable minimum of 4K each day.  Don’t even ask what I’m going to do on the 11th when noon to 6 pm is tied up going to a play with friends.  Not ready to deal with that one yet. 

Write on!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still a bit behind on word count but a much better start than last year. Good that you know your time challenging days and can deal with it.

Kat said...

You have a decent word count going, Cathy! I managed to catch up last night, although it was near 1 AM old time. Haven't written anything on the stories yet today. Heavily procrastinating. And I'd hoped to be at word count before leaving for a write in this afternoon ...

Time for more coffee.