Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

04 March 2013

My Monday Morning Observations

I had an appointment this morning to have blood drawn.  I waited almost twenty minutes after checking in.  It was good people watching time.

An older lady admired my purse.  She said she just couldn't find something that small.  I told her where I bought mine.  We had a brief discussion about the crazy large purses that are the current style, how you end up putting too much in them and then they're so heavy the strap hurts your shoulder.

The receptionist announced they would be testing the fire alarm shortly.  I hoped the nurse wasn't poking me with a needle when the damn thing went off.  It was my lucky day.  A man came from somewhere in the building, walkie-talkie at his mouth.  He told us again that the alarm would be tested, then pulled the lever and walked back to wherever he'd been.  The alarm started out at a reasonable level, not like the one at work that has me squealing and out of my chair in seconds, hands over ears.  This one slowly got louder.  It reached a point where I had to put my fingers in my ears or go outside.  Then it stopped.

A man came in, tall, strong-looking, wearing tan worker overalls, in his late forties (I overheard his year of birth).  He wanted a note from the doctor so he could stay home from work for two or three days because he was stiff from shoveling snow.  He said he'd called in earlier this morning.  The receptionist found no appointment for him.  He said he didn't need to see the doctor, he just wanted the note.  She informed him he had to see the doctor.  He seemed surprised by that.  She was able to squeeze him in with a just a thirty minute wait.  He reluctantly agreed.  He went to the far side of the waiting room.  I watched him.  Our last shovelable snow fell a week ago.  He didn't move like he was stiff or in pain at all.  Perhaps I'm overly skeptical, but I suspect the forecast of six to twelve inches of snow tomorrow has something to do with his wanting that note.

The nurse came and called my name.  Everything went fine.  I left the office wondering if the doctor gave the man his note.  I went to Egg Harbor for a nice breakfast after my fast.  I had a Tuscan omelette (artichoke, zucchini, spinach and tomato with oregano and melted mozzarella cheese on top).

I'm home, with the laundry going and a pot of coffee brewing.  Next is read a book.

No comments: