Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

22 March 2013

Dithering

I can't settle on a blog topic, so here's a mix of stuff as it occurs to me.

Princess Cruises sends me emails with enticing sales.  I dithered for weeks in late January/ early February about taking a 14 day trans-Atlantic cruise before finally deciding I'd buy a new computer and attend at least one writing conference instead.

About writing conferences:  I'm going to WisCon, a science fiction writing convention.  It's in Madison, Wisconsin.  Shame they didn't name it MadCon ...

Another email from Princess Cruises.  This time I only dithered for a few days (up until today, actually) about a 12 day cruise around the British Isles that includes England, Ireland and Scotland, even the Orkneys!  Still need to buy that new computer, and this cruise, though shorter than the trans-Atlantic one, was half again more expensive.  I guess because there are more ports.  Really don't have that kind of money, but it sure is fun to dream.

I can't explain why this makes me so excited, but my blog got two hits from KERIBATI, someone searching on red imported fire ants.  Hi, Keribati person!  I sure hope Solenopsis invicta hasn't invaded your islands.

The Inkwell, a sort-of novel I wrote with a friend, is completely posted now - see tab at top of my blog here.  There are 40 sections of roughly 2000 words each.  We learned collaborating on a story can be so much fun it's amazing it's not illegal.  Have a look if you're so inclined.

I really enjoyed the cruise to Alaska last year and hope one shows up in these sale emails that actually fits my budget.  The sea, it is calling me ...

Three interchangeable responses to "You're a bitch!"
1.  You say that like it's a bad thing.
2.  Everyone has to have a hobby.
3.  And?

On Monday I finished reading a book (The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond).  Since then I've purchased three books (The Fire Ants by Walter Tschinkel; Queen Victoria's Book of Spells, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling; and Shattered Pillars by Elizabeth Bear).  My TBR pile will never disappear.

Perhaps I need a large writing project to keep my mind focused.  (Rising Tide version 3 is out visiting Beta readers.)  Without one ...  ooooh shiny!

2 comments:

Laurie Gienapp said...

I frequently use your first reply, when someone calls me a bitch! #2 doesn't do anything for me, but I do use "What's your point?"... which essentially amounts to your #3.

Oh dear, I wonder if I should be concerned at the frequency with which this happens?..... Nah.


Kat said...

Laurie, the frequency could be linked to your profession. If/when the other side calls you a bitch it probably means you've done your job really well!