Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

30 March 2013

Link Gumbo - Worldbuilding

I'm up for critique next month in SPAMmers.  A science fiction short story that got out of hand and meandered on toward novelette during NaNoWriMo last November is calling to me today.  It needs tightening and a focus.  A title would be good ...

It also needs some worldbuilding.  I checked my handy file of linky things on the subject.  Here are a few that I particularly like: 

http://matociquala.tumblr.com/post/46254831406/people-too-often-conceive-of-worldbuilding#_=_ Scott Lynch via Elizabeth Bear:  "Some parts of it you can measure almost scientifically.  Some parts are mad whack inscrutable alchemy." 

http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/?p=5484  Okapi butts and worldbuilding as only Ursula Vernon could present it.  "... there's no okapi there at all, it's basically a big striped butt on a stick that the writer is waving through the undergrowth."

http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/  Patricia Wrede's wonderful list of thought-provoking ideas.  Unpack at your leisure. 

So this weekend I may intersperse preparing my taxes (I've industrially pushed the file around my desk for a month; push must move on to shove) with poking at this SF story. 

A lot of coffee will be consumed.  Probably with chocolate.

No comments: