Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

07 December 2013

Hawaii - Oahu

We came ashore in Honolulu into a large building with murals painted on the walls. This is where we assembled for our various excursions. (The door back to the ship is on the left by the person in a red shirt.)


I took a bus tour of the east side of Oahu. A photo from the bus as we drove along: 



In Hawaii, all beaches are public and access cannot be restricted. Along the coast were many surfers. Taking pictures of moving folks at a distance from a moving bus when there are trees along the side of the road and window glare does not result in anything worth looking at. Guess how I know… 

Our first stop was Diamond Head. In Hawaiian it's known as Lē'ahi, which translates at "brow of the 'ahi fish," which is what it looks like from Waikiki. 


Sadly, there wasn't enough time for me to walk to an area where the sea is visible. These types of tours hit the highlights, basically allowing you to find out where you'll visit next time you're on the island! 

These fearless doves were everywhere.  This one eventually walked right up to my feet! 


When I asked the bus driver what they're called, he said, "Cat food."  Apparently they'll walk right up to cats as well as people. I think it's a spotted dove.

Next was Hanauma Bay, a marine preserve in a collapsed volcanic crater. It's a wonderful place for snorkeling. You have to watch a twenty minute video and sign a statement that you won't harass or feed the animals before you can go in the water. Since I was on a bus tour, no snorkeling for me. Just the view from the crater rim. 



The darker areas in the water are coral reef. The tiny dots are people. 


We continued along the coast to Halona Point. This picture was taken near there. I can't remember the name of the beach. 


I was standing in the viewing area for a blowhole, where waves come up through a lava tube and supposedly erupt in a geyser. Our timing was not good; probably the wrong stage of the tide. I watched, waited, even took a three minute video hoping to catch something cool on film. I got a couple little splashes and a burp.  


The blowhole is a tiny white speck on the right-hand side just to the right and below that U-shape. But the ocean was gorgeous! 

Our last stop was Pali Lookout, on a windy pass through the mountains. We could see Kane'ohe on the windward side of the island. It was hazier over there than on the leeward side. 


When the bus tour was over, I went shopping before returning to the ship. The highlight of Hilo Hattie's? A pay phone! 


In the shade!! With a bench!!! 

In my previous post I mentioned Lokelina and Kimo, musicians on the cruise. Their music is playing in the background as I write this. You can get their music, too! Go to Fair Winds Music for their CDs.

Lokelina is a native Hawaiian and grew up in a traditional Hawaiian family. She said she was in high school (I hope I remembered that right) before she encountered directions like "north" and "south." On the islands, it's "toward the mountains," "toward the sea," "leeward side," or "windward side." 


Next up:  Hilo and Kilauea.

No comments: