Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

12 December 2012

Reading on 12/12/12

Over at shouldbereading , today's meme is:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you'll read next?

I am currently reading Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear:   
Ms Bear's imagery and sensory details, along with a ripping great yarn, are why I love her work.  This is book one of a trilogy; she has used a Mongul base rather than the standard fantasy medieval European base.  I'm only on Chapter 5.  So far it's wonderful. 

I most recently finished Shoggoths in Bloom by Elizabeth Bear:
This is a collection of short stories.  I started it back in October; took a break for NaNoWriMo in November, and finished it early in December.  It includes her two stories that won Hugo Awards.

I will next read Hogfather by Terry Pratchett:
because it is a family tradition to read this book at Christmastime.  I may read it before finishing Range of Ghosts.  Or I may watch the movie, which is well done but lacks one of my favorite scenes, one that involves a teddy bear. 

Please share your recent and future reading list!  

5 comments:

Tim said...

Hi Kat,
Let's see - in the last 6 weeks or so -
2 Pratchetts including The Hogfather
Blackberry Wine - Joanne Harris (love her books)
Writing a Children's book
The Routledge Creative Writing Coursebook;Teach yourself Creative Writing; Creative writing - A practical guide; The Cambridge companion to CW; The CW Coursebook (East Anglia Uni); Comedy Writing Secrets; Arthur&George (Julian Barnes); and a little of The Artist's Reality - Mark Rothko
oh yes and A slip in time by Laurie (not actually published of course)

And I still can't do this CW stuff. I think I'll take up tiddlywinks

Kat said...

Ah, Tim, from what I've seen you're doing fine with this CW stuff!

You've read a lot! This year I barely managed a book a month.

Did you like Hogfather? Hex being FTB-enabled is a favorite part for me (among many favorite parts).


Tim said...

Hex being FTB enabled (I'll have to work out what that means.)
I read the CW after my failure in Nano. Some were thin,others had bits I could skip.
I also read George and Arthur a couple of weeks ago. I recommend that. It turns out that Arthur Conan Doyle is no Sherlock Holmes! (but still quite a character)

Tim said...

Just reserved Shoggoths,the only Bear book in my local library

Kat said...

FTB enabled apparently means something in real IT speak. (I don't know what, though...)

Hex becomes FTB (Fuzzy Teddy Bear) enabled after the Hogfather gives it a teddy bear.

I hope you like the stories in Shoggoths.