Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

02 December 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012 Wrap Up

I've participated in National Novel Writing Month eight times.  I've made 50,000 words seven of those times.  It boggles my mind, it does.  Here's how NaNo has gone for me over the years.  I put this together back in October, when several other people were posting their NaNo histories.

2002:  Signed up 10/31, daughter talked me into it.  Managed about 12K of fantasy but it was horrid.
2003:  Another attempt at previous year's story.  Made 50K but basic conflict didn't hold up.
2007:  Third try on same story, pushed time line back about ten years.  Best effort to that point, but was an editing nightmare.
2008:  Rebel year.  Total rewrite of 2007 novel from the beginning.  It's decent now, and as soon as I figure out the ending I'll pull it all together. 
2009:  Rebel year.  Three pieces of various lengths; all MCs (Main Characters) telepathic
2010:  High fantasy with dragon, dwarf and wizard
2011:  Urban science fiction adventure/romance
2012:  Rebel year.  Sixteen short stories (SF/F, lit fic).  Theme - the human condition (yes, anything can fit under that umbrella) 

The first four NaNo's were basically me floundering around learning how to write a novel. 

My rebellion this year encompassed writing a new ending for last year's novel (over 19K right there) and the beginnings of a bunch of short stories.  Four of those are currently around 3K to 5K each.  Only one has an ending.  The shortest "story" is 120 words - didn't get that one off the ground. 

First I think I'll edit the short piece that is the December homework for one of the writing groups I attend.  It's currently 670 words.  I need to get it down to 500 or less. 

After that I  just don't know.  Maybe I'll take a break from the writing and spend December reading.  Oooh, books!


No comments: