Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

29 May 2012

Book Day

It’s not quite the end of the month.  There is no way I will finish another book before Friday morning, especially since I haven’t even started one, so here’s the list of what I’ve read so far this year:

JANUARY
(1)  David Jauss, On Writing Fiction, Rethinking Conventional Wisdom About the Craft.  Essays on point of view, flow, epiphanies, and more. 
(2)  Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn.  Beautiful writing.

FEBRUARY
None

MARCH
(3) Seanan McGuire, Discount Armageddon.  Marvelous fun!  A monster-protecting competition-level ballroom dancer protagonist who is seriously awesome!
(4) Elizabeth Bear, By the Mountain Bound.  Prequel to All the Windwracked Stars.  Good fantasy, spun from a Norse foundation

APRIL
(5) Elizabeth Bear, The Sea Thy Mistress.  Sequel to All the Windwracked Stars.  Now I’ve finally read all three books that make up the Edda of Burdens series. 

MAY
(6) N.K. Jemisin, The Kingdom of Gods.  Book three in The Inheritance Trilogy.  Marvelous and satisfying.
(7) Ellen Datlow, ed, Naked City.  Anthology of urban fantasy stories by Jim Butcher, Holly Black, Elizabeth Bear, and others.  Loved it!  The title is from an early 60's detective show. 

My last book post covered the first quarter of the year (January - March).  Didn’t seem worth repeating the list at the end of April with only one addition, so I waited.  Two of the new ones on the list are from the TBR* pile (Bear and Jemisin) and one is a recent purchase (Datlow). 

My target is two per month (average) for the year.  Gonna have to have some three books or more months to make that happen.  Oh, yeah, seriously, because if I do NaNo that shoots both October and November for reading.  I’m having a great time writing the new ending to my novel, though, and I’ve already scheduled a movie binge for when that’s done.   Sherlock!  The Prisoner!  Well, they’re both TV shows, but several episodes combined are as long as a movie ...  perhaps I should call it a DVD binge.

Reading will happen.  I have confidence.

*TBR = To Be Read.  I have several piles, including a few PDF books in the computer.



No comments: