Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

01 April 2012

Bookkeeping

Last year I was determined to read more books than the year before.  To keep myself accountable, I posted the list of books each month.  It worked - 31 books read last year, up from about six.  Well, back in January I decided to post the list quarterly instead of monthly.  Guess what?  Not so much reading has been happening!  (To be fair, quite a bit of writing has happened, and it all comes out of the same available time.  It's always been a trade-off.)  So far this year:


JANUARY
(1)  David Jauss, On Writing Fiction, Rethinking Conventional Wisdom About the Craft.  Essays on point of view, flow, epiphanies, and more. 

(2)  Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn.  A classic.  Beautiful writing.

FEBRUARY
None!

MARCH
(3) Seanan McGuire, Discount Armageddon.  Marvelous fun!  A monster-protecting competition-level ballroom dancer protagonist who is seriously awesome.  This was the first book of hers I'd read.  I will definitely read more.

(4) Elizabeth Bear, By the Mountain Bound.  Prequel to All the Windwracked Stars.  Good fantasy, spun from a Norse foundation



Okay, a rate of four books in three months will keep me ahead of 2010, but won't get me anywhere near 2011.  Gotta do something about this.

Started reading another book from the TBR pile today.


1 comment:

mattw said...

I've been meaning to check out Discount Armageddon. I'm less than 100 pages away from the end of Myke Cole's Shadow Ops: Control Point, which has been quite good.