Quote(s)

“Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.” - Girl Genius, by Kaja & Phil Foglio

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Perspective, it's all about perspective ...

30 January 2012

Sound Tracks for Writing

Not everyone listens to music while they write, and I don’t all the time, but some scenes and characters are easier to get on the page with the right sound track. 

For Shadows, my prehistoric novel, I listen to Alice Gomez and recordings of nature (songbirds, thunderstorms, the ocean, wolves). 

Celtic and traditional-type folk songs work best for my short story “Orchid”  -  Heather Dale, Enya, Fairport Convention. 

Serge likes jazz (Brubeck, Marsalis, Hancock) or rock (Santana, Richard Thompson, Zeevon, Men at Work, Susanne Vega). 

On the other hand, Dragons and Tide don’t seem to need soundtracks.

For me, knowing what kind of music my characters prefer gives added insight into their lives, whether music references appear on the page or not. 

Do you use music to help set a mood or connect with characters when you write?

No comments: